Saturday 28 February 2015

WatchMaker - splitting seconds

WatchMaker (free and premium) gives you loads of tags, as I've previously discussed.  However, when I came to make my latest project, I found a couple of omissions.

The project that I'm currently working on a watch face based on The Clock by Gislain Bernoit...



This is a 56x66cm masterpiece that weighs almost 6.5kg, it's made up of 1,916 individual hand-soldered components, which took the artist hundreds of hours over 3 years to create.  It's truly one of a kind.

Having a circular screened Moto 360 watch, I decided to capture the middle part of the clock, in my homage to this amazing piece.  And given the spacing on the digital displays I found this meant displaying each digit individually.  So I needed 6 different text elements, and this is how they work...

  1. Hours in day (0-23) tens - there's a tag for this: {dh23tt}
  2. Hours in day (0-23) ones - there's a tag for this too: {dh23to}
  3. Minutes in hour (tens) - {dmt}
  4. Minutes in hour (ones) - {dmo}
  5. Seconds in minute (tens) - string.sub("{dsz}",1,1)
  6. Seconds in minute (ones) - string.sub("{dsz}",2,2)
As you can see, there were tags specifically for the hours and minutes that were already split, but there wasn't for seconds.  To get around this we can use "Seconds in minute (with leading zero)" {dsz} and then use the LUA string.sub command to split the two characters.

This is what I've come up with so far...


I'll be uploading it to FaceRepo once it's finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment